Tuesday 8 April 2008

Moodle in a second year scientific studies "liceo"

Translation of post "Moodle in seconda liceo scientifico" of March 28th 2008 on "Il deserto dei tartari 2.0".

Last summer I had installed Moodle on my personal domain, just to see how it works and if there are potentials for its use at school. This year I tried using it with my 14-16 y.o. students. I see the students don't feel bad about it.

Now, getting close to the end of the school year and with the growth of my interest in Web 2.0, I decided to give throttle. So I started two modules in my second classes using Moodle forums. The modules are quite similar, only the theme changes (and not much either, since they both circle around static electricity).

  • Introduction in class: visualization of a physical phenomenon (electrization of a pen by friction, attraction of small pieces of paper).
  • Formulation of possible explanations by students.
  • Formulation of "crucial" questions by the teacher, to allow verification or falsification of explanations.
  • Internet quest about the answers to the crucial questions; answers are posted on a specific Moodle forum.
  • Organization of the answers by the teacher; the information found are simply gathered and only material repetitions are eliminated.

This is where we reached so far. The amount of information found is impressive. I realized, though, that a tool like a wiki could be more suitable for a work like this. So the following steps could be:
  • Personal work on the global information file, so as to have a personal summary for each student.
  • Creation of a glossary (or of a wiki) on the basis of the already found information.
  • Comparison in the physics lab of other similar phenomena: so what explanation can we give?
  • Meta: reflection about the work done, about the tools used, evaluation of the obtained learning.

I'll try to keep the blog updated about the state of the project.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: