Wednesday 2 April 2008

Online and local wikis - technical notes

Translation of post "Wiki online e in locale - note tecniche" of March 19th 2008 on "Il deserto dei tartari 2.0".


I knew hardly anything about wikis. To learn more I tried creating accounts at a couple of web sites offering free wiki spaces (pbwiki and wikispaces) and to install locally on my laptop some wiki servers: tikiwiki, dokuwiki, mediawiki.

I found pbwiki simpler, more customizable and overall more attractive, between the two candidates for a work-wiki (and I already started using it).

About local wikis, the only one that didn't give me trouble instaling on my Ubuntu box was dokuwiki, which I immediately adopted as a (network) home collaboration tool. Too bad it doesn't iron.

One of the good things of these technologies is exactly this: being able to learn by yourself, simply reading here and there and trying hands-on.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: