Tuesday 8 April 2008

Screencast

Translation of post "Screencast" of March 21st 2008 on "Il deserto dei tartari 2.0".

Yesterday I discovered Hans Feldmeier's website; Hans surfs the web looking for interesting tools and apps.

I found there some reviews about slideshows and mind mapping tools. Among the things that made me curious is a service offering recording and hosting screencasts directly from the user's computer.

What is a screencast? It's a movie, a recoding of what happens on the recorder's computer screen, maybe even with audio and comments. How can this be useful? For example, screencasts are favoured by software or OS producers to show in a simple but direct and effective way how to install and use the product they want to talk about.

And in the educational field? Besides using it to show the functions of an educational website, for example, I can imagine movies one can take with Cabri or GeoGebra: I can create a geometrical construction, comment on it with a microphone and while doing so I can record it in a screencast that will be embedded in my educational website in order to make reproducing the task easier for the students. Using my screen as a blackboard, a screencast can be used to publish on the net what happens on the screen/blackboard itself.

Together with the podcast service (which, in turn, can be used to publish real lessons as videos), for which a videocam is required, screencast can be a useful technique to present contents in a technological and lively way.

Having a Linux OS, I found a nice package to make screencasts: XVidCap. I hope I'll be able to take a demo screencast to post soon.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: